We love spicy peanut sauce and use it as dip for veggies and we even incorporate it in many meals. We love it best, though, with potatoes!! We had some friends over for dinner so we made a very colorful salad, rice, roasted red and sweet potatoes in the oven, and some veggie meat. This peanut sauce tastes amazing and it gives any dish a kick of flavor! If you do not like spicy food, just don't include the peppers, or maybe just use a tiny bit of pepper for flavor ;)
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to make the peanut sauce:
You will need dried yellow hot peppers, which you can find in international food markets. I used this one:
- approximately 1 and 1/2 cups of raw unsalted peanuts, toasted
- a bit of garlic powder ( I used about 1 tsp)
- a tiny bit of soy sauce (about 1/4 tsp or 1/2 tsp)
- salt to taste
1. Toast the peppers in a pan. I used 4 (you can use as little or as much as you want) Make sure to keep checking them and turning them, so as not to burn.
They should look like this:
2. Toast the peanuts until they turn a bit brown, but make sure to keep moving them so they don't burn.
3. In a blender or a Vita-Mix, combine the toasted peanuts, the peppers (without the stems), garlic powder, soy sauce, salt and water (covering peanuts by about an inch) until very creamy. You may need to add more water if it is too thick. If you do not want it that spicy, do not include the seeds of the peppers.
4. Transfer the sauce into a pan and bring to a boil, and let it cook for about 10-15 minutes. Make sure to mix the sauce with a wooden stick so that it doesn't stick to the pan. Then it's done!
Here is what we had in our meal:
A colorful rainbow salad:
which included cherry tomatoes, red pepper, carrots, yellow peppers, avocado, romaine lettuce, cucumber and red cabbage
There were also sweet potatoes, which were just roasted in the oven at 400 degrees with a bit of olive oil. For the red potatoes, they were also roasted in the oven with some olive oil and some creole seasoning:
For the veggie meat, we used this brand:
(but you can use any veggie meat you like)
Slice them into thin strips and lightly fry them in some olive oil and soy sauce.
and finally cook some rice and you have a yummy meal!